Meaning of communication – The verbal and non-verbal way of exchanging information by any medium. This could be a television, telephone, and emails, etc. It also involves listening, speaking, observing and empathizing. Every communication included the sender and receiver.
These days if you are standing in a group, communication skills matter a lot. Excellent communication skills enhance personality and confidence levels as well. Especially when you are looking for a job, and to prepare for an interview communication matters a lot. If you won’t be able to speak properly in front of an interviewer, it reduces the chances of selection.
Here are a few tips which help to enhance your communication skills
1. Check your body language – Be cautious about body language while communicating with someone. Be confident sit straight instead of hunching, it leaves a negative impression on others. Widen your shoulder. Speak properly stammering can ruin a conversation. Look directly into receivers’ eyes. Don’t seem to be lost and seeing here and there.
2. Speak when required – Never try and jump in any conversation whether it’s related to you or not. Speak when asked and required to. If you have no information about the topic than it’s suggested to be quiet and listen to others. It sounds immature to intervene without the knowledge about the topic. It’s suggested to avoid such deeds.
3. Observe others - While listening and observing other people you can learn a lot and can improve upon your communication skills. Pay attention to the speaker and collect all the positive things from them and try and inculcate the same in you.
4. Learn new words – Make a practice to learn one new word daily. Write it in a diary and observe within few days you will be able to accumulate so many new words. Always try to put them in your sentences when it’s required use them. Slowly you will start feeling confident while speaking in public.
5. Clarity of speech – When you are speaking it’s advisable to be clear and audible, fumbling and stammering can spoil the conversation also lower down your morale. Speaking too slowly or too loudly can be awkward for you as well as for the receiver. If you are not sure how to speak read the room to see how others are conversing and grab the way others are communicating.
6. Talk to yourself – Choose a favorite corner of the house along with a mirror. Talk in front of the mirror while looking at you as much as you can. This practice is very effective to boost confidence. Practice for words that are tough to pronounce. Take help from friends and family they can be the best critics and teachers as well.
7. Maintain eye contact – It’s vital to make eye contact with the person to whom you are talking with, this implies that you are paying attention. Looking here and there not paying attention will create a negative impression. Eye contact builds credibility and demonstrate you care about your listener.
8. Respond sparingly – Never be in a hurry to respond take some time and revert. By reverting in a hurry, you tend to make mistakes. First, prepare a speech in your head and then speak that focuses attention on the issue and concerns.
9. Be calm – It’s important to remain calm while interacting with others. Keep your tone normal and friendly. Don’t get carried away give chance to others to speak. Don’t give the opportunity to judge you because of your behavior. Remain polite and positive.
10. Empathy – It means sharing and understanding emotions. It could be a non-verbal communication also by only understanding each other’s feelings and react accordingly. If one person is angry or frustrated, empathy can be useful to acknowledge and diffuse their emotions. At the same time when someone is feeling happy and positive, it can help to support and encourage positivity.